14 Elm Street
The St George's Hall at 14 Elm Street is a Toronto landmark — a building with a lively history of remarkable colour and vivacity in a convenient downtown location. It has been designated a building of National Historic Significance by the Government of Canada.
The focus of Club life and activity is The Great Hall, a splendid room with a cathedral ceiling, a large fireplace, a choir gallery, a well-equipped stage, a Steinway grand piano, and wonderfully tongue-in-cheek banners by J.E.H. MacDonald celebrating the names of illustrious early Members.
The Great Hall holds continuously rotating exhibitions of paintings, drawings and photography; the Hall also serves as an intimate concert hall and theatre. Its principal function, however, is as a dining room, where members and their guests dine and socialize around refectory tables.
Adjoining the Great Hall is a well-stocked bar and a comfortable lounge. The LAMPS room across the hall is used for lunches and meetings. The Club entrance hall, downstairs cloakroom area and upstairs hallways, as well as all the various meeting rooms are treasure-troves of Club memorabilia. The visual artists lay claim to the third floor Studio three days a week for painting sessions.
The building was built by the St. George's Society in 1891. The Arts and Letters Club leased it 1920 and purchased it in 1986. The three-storey building has been extensively renovated and is wheelchair-accessible.